Lots of people ask me – what should I be posting about? If they’re an ecommerce seller they struggle to post anything that’s not promotional – if they’re a small business they struggle to post anything “personal.” There’s no magical answer but regardless of your business type, social media is about telling a story. Through social media you have the ability to tell people about your brand, what your business is all about, your employees and your values. The goal is to use this information to spark engagement and ultimately create customers who will keep coming back. So when you’re not sure where to begin or what to post – here are some ideas to get you started!
- Post a photo! Photos perform a million times better than plain text posts so every post should include a photo. If you’re a small business, take a picture of your staff at work or snap a photo during your holiday party – let people see “what goes on behind the scenes.” Ecommerce sellers can post photos too. Take a picture of some new products you’re ready to list on Etsy or a stack of boxes that are ready to be shipped. At the end of the day, people love seeing the personal side of your business. Maybe your wife stops by with your baby and kids or it’s take your daughter to work day – these are the photos that make people “feel good” and show that your company values family, fun, creativity etc. Give it a try!
- Post a quote! People love quotes and they get more shares, RTs and repins than just about anything. You can create a graphic with a photo and simple text overlay using sites like Pic Monkey or Canva. Both are free!
- Post a link to an article! Take note of holidays, trends etc and post relevant links your fans will find interesting. That might be a link to an article with fun ways to carve pumpkins because Halloween is just around the corner, or maybe something important is happening locally – share a link with info about the town’s Halloween parade and festival (especially if your business is a part of it).
- Post a link back to your website! Your goal is to get people to use your product or services so post a link to your website once in a while when you update your blog, add new photos or offer coupons. You don’t have to be “salesy” if people have a reason to visit your site. For example, “Check out the new photos on the blog from Nate and Emily’s wedding” v “Check out our website! Our wedding packages start at $1299.” Both will get people to click through to your website, but people are more likely to do it when you tell them you’ve added more photos. It’s not salesy but while they’re on your site there’s a good chance they’ll click around and check out prices if they’re interested.
- Post a question! If you want to boost engagement, what better way to get people to comment than to ask them a question. It might be a simple “It’s Friday! How are you spending your holiday weekend?” or you could post a photo and ask “Which hat do you like better? We’re working on new styles and we want your input.” Questions are a way to get personal with your audience and the more engagement the better!
I hope these are helpful – Now get posting!